Hiking in SalzburgerLand
The most beautiful hiking- & trekking routes for your holidays
Nature lovers definitely find their own piece of heaven here in Tennengau. Magical landscapes covered in broad alpine pastures and a wealth of mountain tours make a hiking holiday in this region absolutely perfect. Whether a leisurely hike from one hut to the next, or the physical challenges of summiting a high peak: In Tennengau, and for reasons that are both physical and emotional, hikers' pulses race quite a bit faster than they do in other parts of the world.
HIKING PATHS IN Tennengau
Tennengau is shaped by three very different landscapes: the Osterhorn Group to the north with its broad alpine pastures, the jagged ridgeline of the Gosaukamm and the karst massif of the Tennengebirge in the south. On more than 300 marked hiking paths, along the valley bottom as well as up to inspiring peaks, hikers will find the happiness and challenges they have been longing for.
- Idyllic alpine pastures: Postalm in Abtenau, Trattbergalm in St. Koloman and Spielbergalm in Krispl-Gaissau
- Hikes on the Karkogel in Abtenau
- Hiking region Dachstein-West in Lammertal
- Places of unique natural beauty
- Interactive touring map for your hiking preparations
- Summer lifts that make it easy to get to the top of mountains
- Herb hikes in Abtenau, Adnet, Bad Vigaun, Hallein-Bad Dürrnberg and St. Koloman
Trained hiking guides lead you out on tours that range from easy to challenging, and are always available to answer your questions about safety, equipment and tour-planning in SalzburgerLand. And take full advantage of the Tennengau Ticket! For just 4 euro per person, holidaymakers can ride the buses and trains all day long.
MOUNTAINEERING & VIA FERRATAS IN Tennengau
Surrounded by the Northern Limestone Alps, you will experience the Tennengau as an extraordinary area for hiking, climbing and alpine tours. Magnificent rocky edifices, such as the Gosaukamm, Tennengebirge, Dachstein Massif, Hochkönig as well as the Niedere- and Hohe Tauern, treat you to countless hiking paths, mountaineering routes and via ferrata climbs for your summer vacation in SalzburgerLand.
Grosser Donnerkogel via ferrata on the Dachstein: Have average alpine experience and enough physical stamina for a challenging hike lasting around two hours? If so, why not head to the Grosser Donnerkogel. In three stages, you will ascend around 1100 vertical meters and up cliffs as much as 400 meters in height. The tour treats you to wonderful views of the Gosau lakes deep below as well as glorious panoramas of the Dachstein.
Postalm Via Ferrata: The untamed Postalm Gorge along the thunderous Russbach is an absolute insider tip for all climbing fans. This exhilarating via ferrata spans 5500 meters and four rope bridges, and is located in the Postalm Arena.
HIKES PUNCTUATED BY DELECTABLE TREATS – THE DESTINATION: Tennengau CHEESE DAIRIES
Set out on the trail of Tennengau's famous AlmKäse cheeses, as you visit alpine cheese dairies and cheese huts in SalzburgerLand. The flavor of cheese made from organic milk produced by hay-fed cattle is incredibly full-flavored, and best enjoyed with fresh farmhouse bread straight out of a wood-burning oven. In Tennengau, you can actually look forward to four different tours with various culinary highlights:
- A guided hike with a biologist along the Alpine Flower Path at the Postalm in Abtenau is truly delightful. It will also include an opportunity to visit the alpine cheese dairy at the Schnitzhofhütte. A hiking bus runs every Tuesday and Thursday from Abtenau to the Postalm.
- The Dreikäsehoch Tour takes you to the Sulzkaralm, Mahdalm and Loseggalm in Annaberg. Awaiting you are a marvelous selection of products including Tennengau AlmKäse cheeses.
- The Doughnut Tour to the Karalm in St. Martin also promises a whole new perspective on our alpine world. The sweet temptations filled with jam are just one of the treats offered to you by farmer's wife Sylvia Steiner.
- The Lammertal Virgin-Forest Tour is an 8 km-long tour to the Spiessalm in St. Martin. Here you will find the tallest trees in Austria, as well as a marvelous selection of homemade products at a hut along the way.
THE DEFINITION OF RUSTIC: ALPINE SUMMERS in Salzburg
Salzburg's mountain huts are also scattered across the alpine grazing regions of Tennengau. They are distinguished by the particularly high quality of their food products and their absolute authenticity. During your hike through Tennengau you should definitely schedule in a refreshment break at one of these huts, where you can look forward to regional specialties as well as a warm, cheerful atmosphere.
Not every hut in SalzburgerLand is automatically an "Alpine Summer" hut, incidentally. It's a title they have to earn through the top quality of their products and their authenticity. In total, Tennengau boasts 17 certified "Alpine Summer Huts". Further information about Alpine Summer in Salzburg can be found at www.almsommer.com
Lammertal & Dachstein West HIKING BUS
Comfortable, inexpensive and eco-friendly! The "Zurück ins Nest" bus lends itself especially to hikes traversing different valleys as well as multi-day tours, bringing you comfortably back to your original starting point. The bus runs every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from Gosau (Gosausee) via Russbach, Abtenau, Annaberg to St. Martin am Tgb. and back again. The fare is € 4 per person/trip with Guest Card (children up to age 15 are free!). Here you will find the current timetable for summer 2016.
CLIMBING MOUNTAINS MADE EASY: SUMMER LIFTS IN TENNENGAU
Tennengau greets you with 4 summer lifts that will carry you quickly and comfortably up to some of the region's most beautiful scenic overlooks. In addition, the mountain stations are an ideal base for hiking, mountain biking, paragliding, or to experience nature pure and simple.
- Abtenau mountain lift – Karkogel
- Donnerkogel lift – Annaberg-Lungötz
- "Keltenblitz" Bad Dürrnberg – Hallein
- Hornbahn lift in Russbach & Bruno's Mountain World